6.14.2016

Camel meat is super chewy (but good with the right spices) and teaching a roommate of an Indian soccer star!

missionaries at the mango market
baptism of Gregory

What is up y'all?  All is cool here in Bangalore, literally though, it's a really nice temperature these days.  Usually.  Sometimes it's pretty humid, but not unbearable or anything.

Nothing super unusual or happenin' really happened this week, but there were quite a few cool small things that happened this week, I figured I'd share 'em:

As far as food goes, this week was pretty exciting.  I had noodles dosai.  I don't know if anyone knows what dosai is, but it's Indian breakfast basically, it's kind of like an Indian pancake, it's just made of rice flour (or batter I guess).  Typically it's served with some mint chutney or ginger garlic pickle, but this week, when I was on exchange in Indirangar, we had noodles dosai.  Honestly they just took chow mein and threw it inside some dosai, it was nuts.  Pretty good though, I can't really explain it that well haha.  Oops.  Also there is a HUGE Muslim festival called Ramadan (pronounced Ramzan here for some reason) going on right now.  Accordingly, we had a couple traditional food items this week.  The first was called chicken haleem.  It's pretty strange, they basically just throw chicken meat (while on the bone) in a grinder, grind it into a paste and eat it.  So I had that this week, it wasn't very good.  I didn't even take a picture because it was pretty gross haha.  Also we had CAMEL this week!  Not my first rodeo, but it was pretty good.  Camel meat is super chewy though.  But it's good when you throw the right spices on it.  It's really expensive, it's like $15 per kilo.  Crazy.

Ok, this was pretty funny.  We went to our first counselor's home for dinner this week.  It's important to note that I have not seen his wife nor his kids at church since I arrived, so I figured maybe they're sick or something and they'll come soon.  I also assumed that they were church members.  In India it is not uncommon to ask the person who is feeding you if they are vegetarian or not.  So we roll up to their house and I was feelin' pretty liberal that day I guess, and one of the first things I ask his wife was "So, sister, do you eat beef?"  SHE WAS HINDU.  I had NO IDEA!!!  After I asked it was as though she'd seen a ghost, she was so shocked haha.  I didn't know any better though, I didn't even see any pictures of Hindu gods or anything around their home!  Haha I thought that was pretty funny, I hope my mom doesn't get offended when reading this.  It was an accident, mom, really.  I apologized and everything.

Well, I hope everyone has a good week.  Oh, side note: E. Wakefield got a surprise transfer call to Visak for his last week on his mission.  We will miss him.  So it's just me and Elder Sunny in Convent Road this week haha.

Stay safe, keep the faith!
Elder Tuscano

No comments:

Post a Comment