5.16.2016

Bonjour from Bengaluru (photos finally)!

 
The tie that he's wearing is one that I wore while in college



 


What is up, y'all?  Comin' straight at ya from the Garden City of Bengaluru and this.  Place.  Is. Nuts. Hahaha it is seriously like nowhere else in India.  It is SUPER urban and INCREDIBLY diverse.  I see literally every race in the world everyday haha.  There is, however, still an incredibly dense population of Indians and, depending on where you go, elements of traditional India are alive and well.  It is SUPER green here; not in the sense that the air is clean (because that is the furthest thing from the truth) but there are trees, plants, and gardens EVERYWHERE, it's rad.  I love Bangalore.  My companion is also a pretty cool guy.  His name is Elder Shanmugam from a little village in Tamil Nadu called Erode.  He speaks....a different kind of English haha but he's good.  He turns 25 this month.  Sadly, however, he is being transferred to Kolar Gold Fields this Wednesday to replace a missionary who, unfortunately, ran away and went back home.  So my new companions are the other elders in our apartment: Elders Wakefield and Sunny, the former from San Jose and the latter from Delhi.  You'll be hearing more about them in the coming weeks.

Primarily, we travel by cycle (which is unfortunate for me).  But cycling in Bangalore isn't like cycling everywhere else, we are LITERALLY a part of the normal flow of traffic, it's nuts.  Plus E. Shanmugam is like Speed Racer and I'm dying haha.  If you wanna know what my life is like right now watch videos of traffic in India.  A small miracle happened this week though, as we were traveling to one appointment. Unfortunately, we were separated at one point because E. Shanmugam is a champion when it comes to cycling the streets of India.  I had no idea where this guy was.  I know how I would find him either because a) we only have one phone and he had it in his possession, and b) I had no idea what our phone number is because it's my first week, right?  How can I know?  So I just said a little prayer and thought to look in my wallet.  Turns out I had a little mission emergency contact card with our assistant's phone numbers on it.  I then felt impressed to go ask a police officer directing traffic nearby if I could borrow his phone (which is risky because the police do NOT like Christians here).  It so happened that he was SUPER kind and helpful and let me borrow his phone to call the assistants, obtain my companion's number, then call him to inquire where he was.  We were reunited within half an hour or so.  Prayer seriously works.  God loves His children and watches over his missionaries especially.

Also it was Bangalore's very first stake conference yesterday!!  Super cool.

Anyway, super exciting week with many more to come.  Keep the faith y'all.

Elder Tuscano

No comments:

Post a Comment