10.12.2015

Provo to Boise and first photos sent directly from Jonathan

Wow, my first week in the field has seriously been incredible. It is a challenge and not what I'm used to but I'm seriously learning so much everyday. It's crazy.

My companion is Elder Smith!! He is from Akron, OH and is about done with his mission. He is awesome!  I will send pictures as soon as I'm able haha. He reminds me of a lot of Tom Jensen as far as mannerisms and personality go haha, not looks. He is super intelligent and left Juliard to come on a mission. He sings opera hahaha and he's really good.

I don't have a lot of time as it is Zone P Day today where we engage in activities as a zone, I think we're playing dodgeball or something today.  Also I'm typing this on an iPhone at a law office because all the computers are taken, so I'll try and get to the point and comprise my observations and impressions briefly.

Idaho is confusing. A road will take three or so deliberate right or left turns and still be the same road. There are few sidewalks and they are spaced out unevenly. Everyone drives a Subaru. But it is nonetheless beautiful and the people are fantastic!!! Many people we come across really really like the missionaries, but some are not as big of fans. Some people honk at us and give us thumbs up, others give us another finger and yell profanities at us while we're walking haha. But that's only happened a couple times haha, most people are really kind to us.

I have felt a little overwhelmed a lot of times though, and whenever I begin to feel so, I say a prayer and I receive almost immediate strength and comfort, it's insane. Because a good number of people here are already members (or have achieved "emeritus status" from church), we do a lot of service here. At first I was like "whyyy do we do so much service here?" But then I decided that I'm not getting out of it so I prayed to HF and asked Him to help me be more happy and willing to serve, to do so with a good attitude. It worked! I seriously look forward to serving now. We do all kinds of service, from fixing bikes to yard work to working with the Salvation Army. 

One thing happened that I thought was cool, in accordance with the above paragraph. Earlier in the week when I was feeling super overwhelmed, I began to question why I was here and not in India. I wasn't mad, like I'm really happy to be here and everything, and I love Boise but I was just curious as to why He has me here right now. After I had asked Heavenly Father to help me be happier in serving I received an answer. We were doing yard work for a single woman and her son and all of a sudden something whispered to my mind "this is why you're here." I was like WHOA. And that made me even happier!! The greatest lesson I learned from this week (as a result of this experience) is that when we submit to His will, or rather, find common ground between His will and ours, is when we receive answers to our prayers. The Master will not succor the unwilling servant.

I don't know if any of that made sense and I don't really have time to proofread haha but I love and miss you guys!!! Hope all is going well back home.

Elder Tuscano

MTC companions 

MTC District 47A

Elder Smith and a Boise sunset

He referred to their place as "the shack"

inside the shack

Boise in the Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment